Wednesday, April 25, 2012

What does "Made in Cheverly" mean to you?

We're excited to share this perspective from Liz Lescault on our conversation about what "Made in Cheverly" means to the people who live and work here. Liz, a long-time resident is well known for her amazing work as a ceramic artist and painter, and for her art classes for both children and adults.  Wondrous creativity has blossomed under her tutelage, and we are so very lucky to have her in our neighborhood. Here's Liz's take on "Made in Cheverly":

Liz Lescault and Pat Nelson enjoy a laugh at Cheverly Day

We -- my husband, Mike, my son, Matthew, and I -- moved to Cheverly 1986.  I set up my home ceramic studio in 1987.  I hosted my first Holiday Home Show in 1989, and in 1991 I started teaching art classes for children in my Cheverly home studio.  In 1996, I started teaching adult watercolor classes. 

Throughout the years I have organized and staged numerous art exhibits for Cheverly Day, including the 75th Anniversary Cheverly Day Art Show. It included over 100 exhibitors.

It has been such a joy to live in Cheverly and share my passion for art with the community. I cannot believe that Christian Horchler,  son of Illona Horchler,  the first child of one of my first students, is now in my sketching class this spring. I have watched so many Cheverly children grow up. Gynn Manty and Kayah Manty started with me when they were six years and eight years old and continued to take classes with me until they graduated from high school. I have even had a few of the children join my watercolor class as adults. I feel that I may have a very biased view of the talents and creativity, not to mention the loving kindness of  children from my experience with the extraordinary children of Cheverly, but I am always amazed and humbled by their creations. 
 

Although I have new students in my adult watercolor class and some who do not stay with me long term, I have a devoted core of watercolorists, some who have been with me for ten years. With these talented artists, whom I count as friends, and other friends and acquaintances I have in Cheverly, I feel surrounded by the warmth of the community. Although Cheverly is inhabited by highly accomplished, intelligent, community-minded and committed residents, there seems to be a humility here that does not exist in some other communities of wealth and privilege. In Cheverly, our privilege and wealth are our human resources and a cooperative human spirit where people look out for each other and make living in this world just a little easier.


Cheverly.  "Where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average."  (Garrison Keillor)


We still want to hear your story. Let us know: What does "Made in Cheverly" mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment