Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Cheverly: It's Where YOU Want to Be

We're less than two weeks from the big celebration, so this seems like a good time to really think about this year's theme, Cheverly: It's Where You Want to Be. Some of us have lived in Cheverly our whole lives, some 50 years, some 20, some only a year or two. However long it's been, we all have our own stories about why we are here. Over the next week, we'll be sharing some of those stories here. 

First up: Lisa Schultz, founder of ichoosecheverly. We're big fans of this blog, especially the Doors of Cheverly feature, as well as all the great community information that Lisa shares. She was kind enough to answer a few questions recently:
Tell us about yourself and ichoosecheverly
My name is Lisa Schultz and I’ve lived in Cheverly for 11 years. I bought my first house here on the east side of Cheverly as a single gal and now I have a home on the west side of Cheverly Ave with my husband and two children. I am originally from Oklahoma City but spent seven years of my twenties living in Europe. I currently work for the US Senate as a Chief of Staff.  ICHOOSECHEVERLY was ‘born’ two years ago in June 2014. 

How did you first get into blogging? What inspired you to start your blog? 
A couple years ago I remember thinking to myself, Tim and I could live pretty much anywhere in the DC area but we honestly choose to live in Cheverly. “I Choose Cheverly” became the mantra that I told my friends on Capitol Hill. None of my friends had heard of my amazing town so I figured I could start a blog to share my pictures and stories. It was as simple as that! I’m also obsessed with the diversity of our homes. 

What’s the biggest challenge for you as a blogger? 
The biggest challenge for me as a blogger is time. Not content, but time. I work outside the home and have two young boys that need my time and attention. Combine that with possibly starting a photography business and the blog gets pushed to the back burner.

How do you come up with your story ideas? 
I come up with blog ideas by checking the town newsletter for events. I also love real estate. Even if I were not blogging, I’d be checking the market on an almost daily basis. My husband says I should be in real estate! I also have friends who email me ideas and I check the search engines for PG County news.

What’s the most interesting thing you’ve learned about Cheverly? Most surprising? 
The most interesting thing I’ve learned about Cheverly since blogging has been the number of people who have lived here for 30 plus years. People are as obsessed with this little place as I am. The thing I’ve been most surprised about is just how many clubs/groups/activities happen in Chevelry. Who knew that there was a potluck group, a home brewers group, a running group, volleyball group?!

What would you like people to know about Cheverly? 
One of the many reasons I choose to live in Cheverly is the community. It truly feels like a small Midwestern type town in many ways. People in DC think they must live an hour outside of the city to feel safe and to let their children ride bikes alone, but Cheverly is only one mile outside of DC and it is one of the safest places to live! It truly amazes me.

Sum up in one sentence why Cheverly is where you want to be. 
Cheverly is where I want to be because my neighbors are like family. 


Thanks, Lisa! It's always interesting to hear a different perspective on this great neighborhood. If you're interested in sharing your perspective, please email us. We'd love to include many voices in this series. And don't forget: you can show everyone that Cheverly is where YOU want to be by wearing one of our great Cheverly Day 2016 t-shirts! They'll be available on Cheverly Day at the Midway (and possibly earlier...news coming soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment